Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Writing

I've always considered myself a good writer. Now, I may have an overly inflated sense of my writing skills, because people (my mother, in particular) have always been overwhelmingly effusive about my writing skills. I always managed to write well enough in school to rarely have torough draft things - I'd do one take, and it would be good enough to get me a B+/A- - and that was always fine with me. My last job changed all that.

I don't want to get into the specifics, but I had to do a lot of writing in my last position. And, suddenly, I was no longer getting praise for my skills, instead, I was under constant scrutiny and criticism. It's made me startlingly reluctant to do something that I've always enjoyed, and always felt that I excelled at. One of my goals for creating this blog is to give writing back to myself - learn how to enjoy words again, and to feel like I can express myself without all the criticism and negativity that surrounded me. I'm making a commitment to write something here, every day, for the next month. Let's see how it goes, and see if I can rediscover that which I've lost.


No comments:

Post a Comment